|1289 A.D. To strengthen the borders of the Kingdom of France, King Philip the Fair decides to have a new castle built. For the time being, Caylus is but a humble village, but soon, workers and craftsmen will be flocking by the cartload, attracted by great prospects. Around the building site, a city is slowly rising up...
In Caylus, players embody Master Builders. By building the King's castle and developing the city around it, they earn prestige points and gain the King's favor. When the castle is finished, the player who has earned the most prestige points wins the game.
- 2006 International Gamers Award winner.
- 2006 Deutscher Spiele Preis winner (Germany).
- 2006 Nederlandse Spellenprijs winner (Netherland).
- 2006 Spiel des Jahres winner, Special Award for Complex Game (Germany)
- 2006 BoardGameGeek Golden Geek winner, Game of the Year' and Best Gamer's Game.
- 2005 Tric Trac d'or Winner (France).
- 2005 Meeples' Choice Award winner.